The Brag Media ▼
News July 29, 2021

NSW, Federal Governments announce further support payments amid Sydney lockdown extension

NSW, Federal Governments announce further support payments amid Sydney lockdown extension

With Sydney’s lockdown now being extended until at least August 28, the New South Wales Government has announced a number of changes to support payments to assist businesses around the state.

Bolstered by the Federal Government, the JobSaver program to allow for businesses to access greater support, with the scheme’s turnover threshold being increased from $50 million to $250 million and backdated to this Monday (July 26).

Businesses with a revenue loss of 30% or more will now be eligible to apply for support payments, with the changes benefiting a potential 3.3 million workers around the state.

NSW will also amend the maximum payment limit for the JobSaver scheme from $10,000 to $100,000 per week, with the payment amount being based on 40% of a business’ weekly payroll.

Yesterday also saw Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirm that the previously announced COVID-19 disaster payment would be increased in light of Sydney’s lockdown, with the payment also now eligible to those already receiving welfare support.

People who have lost more than 20 hours a week due to lockdown will now be eligible to apply for up to $750 per week, while workers who have lost between eight and 20 hours of work can apply for a payment of $450.

Eligible welfare support recipients who have lost eight or more hours of work can also receive up to $200 per week through the new changes.

Morrison, however, has ruled out the possibility of a return to a similar subsidy to JobKeeper, deeming the payment as being “not the right solution for the problems we have now”, describing the disaster payments as being “faster, more effective, more targeted and getting help where it is needed far more quickly”.

Announcing the changes during yesterday’s press conference, NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet promised that the state would “come through stronger on the other side”, pleading with businesses to maintain staff numbers and submit their applications to receive payments by the weekend.

“We know that keeping workers in jobs is critical, which is why we’ve fought hard to secure additional support to help businesses hold onto their staff,” Perrottet said.

“We appreciate how difficult it is for businesses right now, and we are also prioritising getting money out the door and into pockets as fast as possible.”

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said that the additional support would provide businesses with a vital lifeline during the lockdown extension, which applies to Greater Sydney as well as Wollongong,  Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Shellharbour regions.

“We know these restrictions are tough but necessary to get the current situation under control and that is why we are coming to the table to help businesses and individuals with more financial support,” Berejiklian said.

“We don’t want people to have to worry about how they are going to keep the lights on or reopen their businesses when restrictions ease, which is why we are investing billions to give people that peace of mind.”

Further details on COVID-19 Support Packages for NSW can be found here. For more information on the COVID-19 disaster payment, visit Services Australia.

Jobs

Powered by
Looking to hire? List your vacancy today!

Related articles