Art Music Awards announce date, venue, host, music curator
The 8th Art Music Awards are held on Tuesday, August 21 at the Plaza Ballroom, Melbourne.
Produced by APRA AMCOS and the Australian Music Centre, they recognise achievements in Australian contemporary classical, jazz and experimental music.
The night’s host actor and director Jonathan Biggins and Gabriella Smart will curate the night’s live performances.
APRA AMCOS chief executive Dean Ormston says, “The Art Music Awards honour the innovative and inspiring work of the many composers, creators, educators and organisations that are making a difference in Australia and beyond.
“Along with APRA AMCOS’ presenting partner, the Australian Music Centre, we are looking forward to an evening that acknowledges such a vital and trailblazing music community.”
Finalists will be announced on Tuesday July 17.
Awards will be presented in 11 national categories, along with an award for each Australian state or territory, selected from one of the national categories.
The APRA board of directors will also award the award for distinguished services to Australian music.
Previous recipients of this honour include Richard Gill OAM, George Dreyfus AM, Helen Gifford OAM and the late composer Peter Sculthorpe.National categories are:
- Orchestral Work of the Year
- Instrumental Work of the Year
- Vocal / Choral Work of the Year
- Jazz Work of the Year
- Performance of the Year
- Award for Excellence by an Organisation
- Award for Excellence by an Individual
- Award for Excellence in Music Education
- Award for Excellence in a Regional Area
- Award for Excellence in Experimental Music (for works, people or events)
- Award for Excellence in Jazz (for works, people or events)