Amazon report: Aussies prefer vinyl nostalgia
Since December 2017, Aussies have bought three times more in the big black format than disks.
Amazon sales also indicate a strong stress on nostalgia, with more than half of the Top Ten best-selling records first released before the turn of the century.
The Top Ten records based on sales on amazon.com.au since launch in December 2017, are:
- Abbey Road, The Beatles (1969)
- Back To Black, Amy Winehouse (2006)
- Elephant, The White Stripes (2003)
- Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (1977)
- Currents, Tame Impala (2015)
- MTV Unplugged In New York, Nirvana (1994)
- A Deeper Understanding, The War on Drugs (2017)
- Nevermind, Nirvana (1991)
- Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & Spiders From Mars, David Bowie (1972)
- Ten (Legacy Edition), Pearl Jam (1991)
“It is interesting to see that Australians are opting for records over CDs, and indeed predominantly records that would be categorised as nostalgic,” said Alvaro Prieto, head of media for Amazon.com.au.
“Whether chosen for quality of sound or because of the hipster trend to opt for vinyl, we are pleased to see the continuing popularity of vinyl.”
For a limited time, customers can buy one vinyl record from the thousands of qualifying records sold by Amazon AU and get one free.
Customers can enjoy free delivery on eligible orders above $49 that are shipped by Amazon AU. A one-day delivery service is available in select areas across Australia.