Select Music Agency, Sydney Kings Play Ball For ‘Unique Partnership’
Two champion teams in the fields of music and sport are coming together for what’s said to be a first-of-its-kind partnership in Australia.
Through the arrangement, announced Friday (Oct. 7), Select Music will hand-pick 14 of the “brightest up-and-coming” artists to perform at the Kings’ home court, Qudos Bank Arena.
The program kicks off proper next Friday, Oct. 14 with the Kings’ contest against Cairns Taipans; the performer on the night is Select Music’s latest signing, Shannen James.
Artists booked for Kings games in the weeks and months ahead include Boy Soda, Kyle Lionheart, Graace, Dallas Woods, Molly Millington and Kanada The Loop.
“We’re extremely proud to involve some of Australia’s top up-and-coming artists to our already exciting home game experience at Qudos Bank Arena,” Hoops Capital CEO Sean Nicholls comments in a statement.
This “unique partnership” sees two of “Australia’s top entertainment providers team up and provide our loyal Kings members and fans with the best night out in Sydney,” he comments, “while also giving these artists a chance to perform live in front of thousands of supporters.”
The Sydney Kings is Australian basketball’s “glamour” club and reigning league champion, playing its home games in the country’s biggest indoor arna.
Select Music Agency CEO Stephen Wade says the alliance is a slam dunk.
“This is a first in Australian sports and something we are extremely thankful to the Sydney Kings organisation for championing,” he comments.
“Developing artists currently have far fewer pathways for discovery in current times.”
“This opportunity presented by the Kings for our artists to be attached to their own home game, promoted in advance throughout the Kings networks, meaning fans will be able to get to connect with the artist beforehand and then have them perform in front of thousands is a huge break for every one of these artists,” Wade adds.
The Sydney Kings “are at the forefront of developing and supporting the community when it comes to basketball and is the perfect partner to help Select Music support the next generation of Australian musical exports to the world.”
Based in Sydney, Select Music is an award-winning independent booking agency which represents the careers of Grammy Award-winners Rufus Du Sol, plus Amy Shark, The Veronicas, Baker Boy, The Teskey Brothers, Thelma Plum, L.A.B, Lime Cordiale and many others, representing talent across Australia, New Zealand and Asia.
The Kings downed the expansion club Tasmanian Jack Jumpers in the NBL Grand Final series last season, for the team’s fourth title. Rising star Xavier Cooks is captain this year, and Chase Buford returns as head coach.
Hoops Capital Pty owns the Sydney Kings and the WNBL franchise Sydney Flames. Andrew Bogut, the retired NBA champion, former No. 1 draft pick and Kings athlete, joined the club’s ownership group in 2021.
This evening, Oct. 7, the Brisbane Bullets play away to Sydney, on a night when the NBL22 championship banner will be unveiled.
It’ll be the first chance for Kings fans to see “one of these artists perform,” a joint statement reads.
The artist schedule at Qudos Bank Arena is as follows:
- Shannen James – Friday, October 14 from 7.15pm (vs Cairns).
- Boy Soda – Friday, October 21 from 7.15pm (vs Adelaide).
- Guest DJ – Saturday, October 29 from 7.45pm (vs Cairns).
- Kyle Lionheart – Sunday, November 20 from 3.45pm (vs Illawarra).
- Graace – Sunday, December 4 from 1.45pm (vs Adelaide).
- Dallas Woods – Sunday, December 11 from 3.45pm (Indigenous round vs Tasmania).
- Molly Millington – Sunday, December 25 from 7.15pm (Christmas night vs Melbourne).
- TBA – Friday, December 30 from 7.15pm (vs Tasmania).
- Guest DJ – Wednesday, January 4 from 7.15pm (vs Southeast Melbourne).
- Kanada The Loop – Saturday, January 7 from 7.45pm (vs Perth).
- TBA – Saturday, January 15 from 3.45pm (vs Illawarra)
- TBA – Saturday, January 22 from 3.45pm (vs New Zealand).
- TBA – Saturday, January 29 from 3.45pm (vs Southeast Melbourne)