Ari Up!: Ariana Grande just set seven new chart records
Ariana Grande set new chart records in the UK last Friday with her new album thank u, next, which debuted at #1 on the Official UK Albums Chart.
It was outselling the rest of the top five albums combined.
* It had the most streams of an album by a female artist in a week (59 million streams across all 12 tracks – breaking a record she set herself with 2018’s Sweetener.
* Thank u, next is the third most streamed album in its first week overall, behind Ed Sheeran’s Divide and Drake’s Scorpion.
* She’s the first female artist to replace herself at number one, with ‘break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored’ moving into first spot and dropping ‘7 Rings’ to second spot after three weeks.
* She’s the second female artist to have the two top spots after Madonna did it in August 1985 with ‘Into The Groove’ and ‘Holiday’.
* She becomes the first female artist to hold the number one album spot and top two singles at the same time.
* Another track from the album, ‘Needy’, debuts in this week’s Top 10 at No. 8. It makes Grande the first female artist since Ruby Murray in March 1955 to have three Top 10 singles as a lead artist in the same week.
* She now joins Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Justin Bieber, to get three No.1 singles in under 100 days.
Speaking recently about her record-breaking success, Grande said: “I think one of the most important lessons learned – just based on how people have reacted to the music and how it felt to make the music – is listen to my instincts.”
In Australia, Grande held on at #1 on the ARIA chart for the fourth consecutive week with ‘7 Rings’ – giving her a double as thank u, next debuted at #1.
She notches up 12 entries on this week’s Singles Chart, including nine debuts.
On top of the three tracks from the album already released, the American artist appears on the chart with ‘break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored’ (#2), ‘Bloodline’ (#11), ‘Needy’ (#13), ‘NASA’ (#16), ‘Bad Idea’ (#21), ‘Fake Smile’ (#22), ‘Ghostin’ (#26), ‘In My Head’ (#36) and ‘Make Up’ (#41).
Thank u, next is her fourth #1 album on the ARIA chart.
This week, her last album Sweetener jumps seven spots to #7.