News November 22, 2021

Channel 7 journalist Matt Doran denies claims he was suspended after $1 million Adele interview

Channel 7 journalist Matt Doran denies claims he was suspended after $1 million Adele interview
Pictured: Adele. Photo: Simon Emmett

Weekend Sunrise journalist Matt Doran has responded to claims he was suspended after failing to listen to Adele’s new album 30 ahead of interviewing her earlier this month.

Over the weekend, it was reported that Doran was suspended for two weeks after being flown to London earlier this month to interview the superstar. According to TV Blackbox, the chat “turned sour” when Doran admitted to Adele he hadn’t listened to the album, despite Sony sending him an advanced copy.

The interview was supposed to air last night (November 21) alongside Channel 7’s exclusive coverage of Adele’s One Night Only performance in Los Angeles. The whole package reportedly cost Channel 7 about $1 million.

Now, Moran has responded to the reports, saying that he’s “utterly confounded” and was never suspended by the network.

Speaking to The Australian, Doran said, “When I sat down to interview Adele, I was totally unaware that I’d been emailed a preview of her unreleased album.

“I have since discovered it was sent to me as an ‘e card’ link, which I somehow missed upon landing in London. It was an oversight but NOT a deliberate snub. This is the most important email I have ever missed.”

TV Blackbox reports that Sony Music has used its veto rights to block the interview from airing, which Doran has requested to be released.

“Adele didn’t storm out. In fact, it was the polar opposite,” he said.

“What was meant to be 20 minutes was extended to 29 minutes. The majority of the chat was about the album. I told her: ‘I’ve only had the privilege of hearing Easy on Me, but not the other tracks’.”

“I’m utterly confounded,” he continued. “I’ve implored Sony to release the interview.”

Channel 7 and Sony Music have yet to publicly comment.

Related articles