Radio Ratings Survey #1 2016: Full analysis
Each year Survey #1 is highly anticipated for many reasons; the time since #8, the traditional changes to stations, the quirks of the summer period; it is always an intriguing survey and often a weird one.
This year, many eyes are again be on Melbourne which has seen significant changes with three new FM breakfast teams in play and all (Nova, KIIS, Gold) have seen some increases, with Fox copping the ’Breakfast brunt’ and falling.
And of course many people will be watching the first full survey for “Rove & Sam” on 2Day FM which has not proven particularly eventful; in fact “Kyle & Jackie O” on KIIS increased their ratings by nearly as much as “Rove & Sam” ratings in total.
See theanalysis for Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and perth below:
- Lots of stations declining or remaining flat this survey in Melbourne, with only Gold, ABC774 and tripleJ making any real upwards movement.
- Gold has taken the outright #1 FM position driven by a 40-54 jump, and solid increases across the dayparts.
- Fox has had a tough start to the year with the station slipping 1.1 overall to be #2 FM – perhaps of the most concern, Breakfast and Drive both took a big hit falling 2.5 and 2.3 respectively.
- Nova has also had a bad start to the year falling into the 5’s to sit last of all the FM’s, and being leapfrogged by tripleJ. Nova’s new Breakfast show improved slightly, however the station saw a softening across daytimes, and into Drive.
- KIIS Melbourne continues to be a challenge for ARN, falling overall although Breakfast improved a touch.
- Triple M, solid overall. #1 FM Breakfast, daytimes up a little, Drive copping a whack however.
- Great result for tripleJ moving up to a 6.4 overall, equal with KIIS, and ahead of Nova.
- And on the AM band, all stations slipped a little, excluding ABC774 who had a solid increase.
- A massive result for ’Kyle & Jackie’ on KIIS improving from 10.1 to a 12.5% share on Breakfast, and the #1 FM show by over 5%. KIIS overall had a great survey, with ’Hughesy & Kate’ on drive moving to the #1 Drive position outright with a jump of 2.3.
- It wasn’t all good news for KIIS however with the daytime music dayparts seeing significant decline – still, off the back of Breakfast and Drive, KIIS is #1 10-54, nothing to be overly worried about with those figures.
- Over at 2Day all eyes were on the performance of Rove & Sam, and the result was completely flat. Ending the year on 3.0, and starting the year on 3.0. No movement whatsoever. But it’s early days. The station however did improve, with daytimes driving the momentum, and Hamish & Andy flat.
- Triple M has moved into the #2 position on FM Breakfast and had an excellent result overall, increasing by 1.0% to a 7.1 share – behind KIIS and Smooth, but ahead of Nova, 2Day and WSFM (just).
- Great result for Smooth 95.3 driven by a monster 25-39 and 55-64 performance. Up nearly 2 points overall and the #2 FM station in the market – and clearly the #1 FM station 9-4.
- A mixed result for Nova with daytimes improving however Breakfast and Drive falling.
- Up for WSFM with a solid 25-54 performance and the growth led by Drive and Evenings.
- As in Melbourne the AM stations all declined, with ABC702 and 2GB seeing the largest declines – 2GB’s Alan Jones continues to dominate however improving to a massive 16 share overall.
- ARN’s 97.3 again leads the market at #1, but they sure took a bit of whack in their heartland of 25-54’s. They also saw drops in all the key dayparts and are now tied with Nova in breakfast.
- Nova1069 also took a hit 10 plus with all the demo under 40 down as well. Drive is their hero moment with Kate Tim & Marty still in the lead. Breakfast down a touch and now level pegging with 97.3
- Triple M Brisbane have had a ripper round – up 2.4 points the highest of any station to pull a 10.8 and leap frog stablemate hit105. It also puts Triple M in striking distance of Nova. Triple M also surged 3.4 points in breakfast – an 11.2 thankyou.
- Over a hit105, not a lot to say down a touch to a 10.3. Some gains in 18-24’s and 25-39’s check. Breakfast with added Osher – up a tad. Over to Drive with Hamish & Andy, a flat result with a mirror of #8 a 12.5 slice and number 2 behind Nova.
- Macquarie Media’s 4BC, a 5 share this round. Not a great deal of movement, the only notable rises is afternoons now out of Sydney with nearly a 2 point increase and Nights also up.
- At Magic882, its how low can you go? A 2.8 for Survey #1. Drops across most dayparts and only Drive gain a little.
- The ABC took a hit with 612, losing 3 points to pull a 9.3. Spencer Howson slipped from his dizzying heights of 17.2 to 14.1, but still number 1 in breakfast for Brisbane.
- triple j had an over a point rise – pushing a tidy 8.4 share of Brisbane. Some solid increases in Afternoons and Drive with Breakfast flat.
- There is a new number 1 in Adelaide, how’s that for a debut for new ABC CD Barry Keohane. ABC891 a 12.6 share taking the lead from ARN’s Mix102.3.
- The ABC also dominates breakfast with now daylight between it and its nearest competitor, fiveAA.
- Mix102.3 haven’t had the best start to 2016, not only losing the top mantle and then being taken over by Nova 919. Mix an 11.4, Nova a 11.6. Tight as but a win is a win.
- Adelaide overall has proved an interesting one to watch, all the FM players outside Mix are up. hit107 found its groove, up 1.7 to 10.1 and Triple M up to 10.2, that will keep the SCA guys pretty happy.
- In the music battle, it is Nova’s moment in the sun. And while Nova breakfast is flat, they can claim Drive with Kate, Tim & Marty out in front of the pack.
- The two big movers in Perth are Nova 937 and hit92.9; both of whom saw very strong increases overall. Nova fell slightly in breakfast, however saw strong increases across the day, and hit92.9 increased everywhere in the dayparts, although none of it in target – the hit increases were 40-54 and 55-64.
- ARN will breathe a sigh of relief that 96FM has stopped falling, the station was up a touch but remains in last (FM) place. Breakfast and daytimes improved, however drive fell to 6.4 to now be less than half of the nearest FM station in that daypart.
- Mix is flat overall, and remains #1 – with Breakfast, Drive and Nights improving – but daytimes falling back (but still #1 in days!).
- Perth is traditionally tripleJ’s strongest market, and it remains so, however the station copped a decent hit this survey, falling 1.6 the damage done in Breakfast and Mornings.