Optus now offers one-year subscription to Apple Music
Just like the record business, the battle between telcos for market share is fierce.
Today’s news should come as no surprise then.
The telco tells TMN this new offer is exclusive to Optus.
Once activated, Optus customers will have full access to 50 million songs to stream over the Optus network, WiFi, or download for offline playback.
Music partnerships have long been a go-to tactic for Telstra, Optus and Vodafone in the quest for customer acquisitions.
Competitor Telstra’s current music offer includes data-free streaming of Apple Music when you link your Apple ID. Their offer is also open to post-paid, pre-paid and mobile broadband customers.
These types of deals between telcos and streaming platforms are good for the music business, introducing new consumers to streaming and, ultimately, new music.
Optus’ VP, TV, content & product development, Clive Dickens, says its new Apple Music will help more Australians connect and “share the joys of streaming music” on its network.
“With this new exclusive offer, we are aiming to introduce more Australians to the ease and convenience of finding a classic favourite or discovering brand new songs and artists with Apple Music, whether in the car, at home or at work,” says Dickens
“The Apple Music exclusive offer is available on selected great value Optus plans priced for all budgets. Our plans offer fast speeds on Optus’ premium network and incredible data inclusions – with selected plans offering up to 200GB of data for customers who love to stream and download on-the-go.”
Since the launch of Apple Music in 2015, Australians have streamed a mixture of artists on heavy rotation.
Ed Sheeran, Drake, Post Malone and homegrown talent 5 Seconds of Summer are among the most listened to, according to new data shared by Apple and Optus today.
Most streamed songs on Apple Music in Australia:
1. ‘Shape of You’ – Ed Sheeran
2. ‘Perfect’ – Ed Sheeran
3. ‘Youngblood’ – 5 Seconds of Summer
4. ‘rockstar’ – Post Malone Feat. 21 Savage
5. ‘Despacito’ – Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Feat. Justin Bieber
6. ‘Closer’ – The Chainsmokers Feat. Halsey
7. ‘I Fall Apart’ – Post Malone
8. ‘Castle on the Hill’ – Ed Sheeran
9. ‘Eastside’ – benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid
10. ‘Starboy’ – The Weeknd Feat. Daft Punk
Most streamed albums on Apple Music in Australia:
1. ÷ – Ed Sheeran
2. The Greatest Showman – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack – Various Artists
3. Stoney – Post Malone
4. Purpose – Justin Bieber
5. beerbongs & bentleys – Post Malone
6. 1989 – Taylor Swift
7. Views – Drake
8. Baby Lullaby: Relaxing Piano Lullabies and Natural Sleep Aid for Baby Sleep Music – Einstein Baby Lullaby Academy
9. Starboy – The Weeknd
10. x – Ed Sheeran
Vodafone currently has no active music-based promotions listed on its website.