Head, Language Content
Head, Language Content
The role can be based from SBS Sydney or Melbourne bureau.
There’s a reason people work at SBS. Everyone has a story that influenced their choice to join the world’s most diverse and inclusive public broadcaster. Our Audio and Language Content (ALC) division is the heartbeat of SBS. We tell stories in over 60 languages about, for, and with the nearly 5 million Australians who speak a language other than English at home. Guided by the SBS Charter we share news, current affairs, information, entertainment and music, through multiple audience touchpoints including radio and podcasting, digital television, mobile and social media. We celebrate the unique storytelling of First Nations Peoples, Australia’s vibrant multiculturalism, and endeavour to create mutual understanding that supports social cohesion.
About the role
There is a new exciting opportunity in the Audio Language and Content team, reporting into the divisional Director. The Head, Language Content is responsible for ALC’s content strategy and output in over 60 languages across multiple platforms including radio, podcasting, websites and social media and provides leadership, professional advice and mentoring to the team of Program Managers and other content leads. Some of the duties include:
- Leading and inspiring a large team of content makers to deliver distinctive, world-class content to SBS’s diverse audiences across multiple channels and in over 60 languages.
- Developing and overseeing an integrated content strategy for ALC that grows audiences by delivering on SBS’s Charter and purpose of building social cohesion that ensures continued relevance and engagement.
- Leading the multilingual strategy in SBS that makes the organisation’s services more relevant for an increasingly diverse Australian audience.
- Leading the delivery of distinctive Indigenous in-language and NITV Radio output that builds greater awareness of First Nations stories amongst multicultural Australia, in collaboration with NITV.
- Identifying and shaping the best content for audience growth and engagement across a variety of platforms and formats including, podcasting and radio as well as online and social media.
- Leading the analysis and transformation of content output to future proof SBS’s language offering by reviewing audience and demographic data and innovating with content solutions.
Critical to this role, we are looking for someone who is passionate about, understands and can celebrate the unique and inspiring storytelling of multicultural communities and First Nations Peoples. You must have ears that actively listen and a penchant for continuous learning.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of the SBS Charter and Purpose. We need someone who comes with previous experience leading large teams, with a passion for coaching, fostering a culture of collaboration, diversity and inclusion. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to provide editorial guidance in public-interest storytelling, with previous success in developing and implementing content strategies that inspires teams participation and grows audiences in a highly competitive environment; they will have demonstrated extensive journalism and audio experience developing compelling, distinctive stories and ideas. An understanding of Indigenous Cultural Protocol and an ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities is a must.
We do not offer sponsorship for this role, so you must have Australian working rights to be considered.
Everything else you need to know about us and everything we need to know about you we can discover together through the recruitment and selection process. If there is anything we can do, or any adjustments that we can make to our interview/ recruitment process to better enable you to shine, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 5pm Friday 18 June 2021